Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Internal Monologue


Internal Monologue—a technique for presenting the stream of consciousness of a character; in other words, his or her personal, private thoughts. It can be direct (first person) or indirect (third person).

Here is an example, based on the above photograph:

IT’S OVER. Those two, simple words echoed in my brain. They were like the incessant gonging of a bell. IT’S OVER. IT’S OVER. As I watched my feet swinging through thin air, I couldn’t ignore the fact that I had become a cliché. Dumped at the altar, well, practically, the night before my wedding. Despite the beautiful vista of my hometown in front of me, all I could see were Anna’s vivid blue eyes, darkening in a way that was foreign to me, as she stepped back from our vows. At the memory, fresh pain ripped through my body, leaving me feeling weak and empty. A brisk wind would likely topple me over the edge, into the fathomless depths below me. IT’S OVER. But it’s not over. Even here, at the edge of reason, I know that I must go on. I must find a new path. I just wish it didn’t seem so daunting, so overwhelming.

Your assignment: Using the provided example as a guide, write your own internal monologue based on the above photograph. Ask yourself some questions about this character. Who? What? Where? When? Why?

Do not write your response on this blog. Instead, go to my Moodle page and find the assignment labeled Internal Monologue. Your response must be at least 5 sentences long.

1 comment:

Simsbumponablog said...

Excellent assignment, Mrs. S! I'm glad you're doing it on Moodle. Have fun!

PS I love your fish!