Monday, April 5, 2010

Little Literacy

In my Creative Writing class, we have been studying the refreshing milieu of children's literature. First, we read several sample books in class, discussing pros and cons of each. We then explored the way text, illustration, and characterization can transform a single book into a thrilling world for children to explore.

In preparing to write their own children's books, students have been reflecting upon books that played a prominent role in their own childhood. Or—failing that—at least a children's book they currently find entertaining, effective, or simply fun. Not only did I enjoy children's literature myself as a child, but I've been joyfully wallowing in it again as a parent to two small children. As both an English teacher and a parent, I believe instilling reading values at an early age is vitally important to laying a solid foundation for a child's future. Not only did I share a few of my children's favorite books, but I wanted to post one on my blog as well.

My recommendation? Snuggle Bunnies by Lisa McCue. It highlights a family of bunnies, swamped in love, who spend time together one evening and prepare for bedtime. As anyone with children knows, the bedtime routine is a sacred one, beloved by both kids and parents. From a very young age, my daughter loved reading this each night before bed. Plus, it's fairly short, which is nice for an exhausted parent at the end of a long day!

For further reading recommendations from children's literature, please visit my Period 1 Blogs. Every book listed by these students is truly a wonderful reading gem. Enjoy!

P.S. Have another wonderful children's book to add? Please do so in the comments section below. My class would love to hear your opinion!

2 comments:

Simsbumponablog said...

I am SO jealous of your blog. You are such a good writer!

I love "The Velveteen Rabbit", but it always makes me cry. I still think my stuffed animals come alive when I'm not around.

Mrs. Smith said...

THANK YOU! Of course, I did learn about blogging from the best! ;)

I'm with you on the stuffed animals coming alive. Totally true.