Monday, September 27, 2010

Six Word Summaries

Disclaimer: We had such success with this assignment last year, that I'm bringing it back for this year's creative writing classes. Enjoy!

After reading a recent Reader's Digest article entitled, "Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak," I decided this concept would make an excellent word choice activity for my creative writing class. Indeed, we have been focusing on using a small amount of precise words to make a large impact. How perfect!

Of course, I adapted our assignment so that the students were able to choose any theme: love, heartbreak, faith, friendship, success, etc. They created some truly moving tributes using only six words. Please check out the comments section below to see their impressive work!

Here's the link to the Reader's Digest article, if anyone's interested in the inspiration for this assignment, along with some additional entertaining six word summaries: http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/sixword-memoirs-on-love-and-relationships/article116695.html.Feeling inspired?? Feel free to add your own six word summaries in the comments section below!!

63 comments:

Brittany said...

Happiness: Stay forever happy, life is short.

Brendini said...

Love: her eyes; flourished seas of love

bree(: said...

I love you times three girls.

Josh S said...

Computers:Only as smart as their users!

O_oSquido_O said...

Love: Wish he was here with me.

Danielle said...

Love: Absolute best, I love you forever

Anonymous said...

Love
In your arms, I'll always be.
-Dana

*-Krystal-* said...

Love: In my heart, you always are.

Aris said...

occupation: It is ok, I'm a medic

NeilG B@M!! said...

Life: Life is short, don't be stupid.

soccerufc said...

Friendship: You can't do stupid stuff alone.

chawkins said...

love not: happy thats just the saddest lie

Natalie said...

Love (NOT): Don't trust love, it only hurts.

chicagos said...

Success: Go to college, get a job.

Jessica said...

Love:
He said he loved me...Ha!

Love is a waste of time.

Friendship:
Her name is Carson Bailey Fowler.

School:
Glorified babysitting at it's very best.

Amy L. said...

Success: Where a goal lies, I reach.
Life: There is death, there is taxes.

Stephh said...

Love (NOT!) He said forever, forever just ended.

Love- hearts know more than the brain.

onyxjelly said...

Love(not)-trusted you again, met with sin

chawkins said...

Earth: puzzle that I will never fit

Natalie said...

Love (NOT): Don't trust love, it only hurts

Josh S said...

Love: Striped furry kitty cat of mine.
Josh Sw

Amy L. said...

Life: There is death, there are taxes.
Success: Where goals hang, I reach.

Tyler said...

Jumpt the bridge? Not withought me :)

Natalie said...

Love: My daddy aka my best friend

Brittany said...

Love (NOT): You want hurt, fall in love.

onyxjelly said...

love-cake,wholesome, and just plain good

Brendini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Love:Jace Michael Taylor, Heather Michelle Cox

Brendini said...

Life: You either die or you don't

Anonymous said...

Love(not)
Kiss my cheek, nope wrong one!

bree(: said...

Your lies I believed, no more.

Natalie said...

Death: Die with ones you truely love

bree(: said...

Friendship: 1972, Roxy, Cornfield, Apples, your smile :)

Nathanael said...

Love: Love can hurt but lonliness sucks.

Eric said...

Love(not)
People need to get over it!

O_oSquido_O said...

Love (NOT)
Is your heart really that black?

Friendship
Friends stick to you like glue.

Brendini said...

Love: when reality meets a neverending fantasy

*-Krystal-* said...

Love(Not!): How many times can you lie?

Life: Smile bright and live life crazy.

Love: Love hurts, but good bye kills.

Love (Not!) Wanna feel better? Kick him hard!!!

Tyler said...

Rapper: Aris reminds me of Lil' John.

Anonymous said...

Its not stalking. Its true love.

Maggots. Your cold heart. Same things.

Wanna be happy? Better marry rich!

Brendini said...

ADOS: Attention deficit OOOH SHINEY!! Wait what?

Ethan Shepherd said...

Occupation: Shock trooper charge thee foul medic!

BandGeek said...

Love: Sparkling Skin, Super Strength, Golden Eyes!

Anonymous said...

It's okay... I WAS a doctor.

tater93 said...

love: only as long as it last :)

DU5T1N said...

Love: only as long as its users

Kayla said...

Love: It chases all my fears away

AMBER said...

My Boyfriend: sweet, funny, tall, loving,all mine!

carson93 said...

Love (Not): When happily ever after finally ends.

Friendship: Her name is, Jessica Erin D'Esposito.

Happiness: Living your life to the fullest.

Cassie said...

Love:Medical field man in my future

JordannLee* said...

Boys:
Tall, Tan, Toned...anymore questions(:

charli:) said...

Love: Together we are the perfect storm (:

Love: Parents divorce taught me to love.

Love: Met you. Found me. Created WE.

Ethan Shepherd said...

Victory: Guess what? YOU LOST THE GAME!

carson93 said...

Love: Another word for combining mutual weirdness:)

luv_child said...

Bad drivers: Do us all a favor. Walk.

Darian said...

love: comfort is lying in his arms

Anonymous said...

baseball

running,throwing,batting,scoring,walking,catching

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Love: Love does not know any distance

Life: Forgetting is harder then accepting it

chase said...

Success: Success isn't easy, it is earned.

*Brittany:) said...

LOVE: I still read our love notes

Simsbumponablog said...

I think that Jessica needs to learn that school is much more than glorified babysitting. We work very hard at our jobs.

that one said...

Craziness, it is what I am.