Monday, November 2, 2009

A Writer on Writing

After viewing this video, please click on Comments to leave your opinion on what Joyce Carol Oates shared about writing characters.

Announcement: Since my Comments section is not currently working, students shared their opinions during class. Here are some of them:

I think it (Oates' dialogue assignment) makes a lot of sense. Learning more about a character really does help when making a story. I do this for a lot of the stories that I work on now.

Writing out the dialogue didn't really help me much. My characters are my characters. They have life the minute I create them, and making the dialogue just confused me.

It's pretty hard sometimes (no matter how real the characters seem) to create personality and depth to them. It's good to actually become the character to get into their mind. Makes it a lot easier to write about their actions if you know how they think.

I felt that this video was a great resource for character development. The woman was boring, but the video was cool.

Personally, I disagree with her. If anything, the dialogue complicated things.

I like the assignment because it makes us use our imaginations.

No comments: